Clients always ask how to prepare for a Boudoir photoshoot. We’ll help you every step of the way, but here’s some key pointers to ensure you get the most out of your experience.
I’ve booked my session, but now I’m nervous
First of all, you have taken a huge step to book your Boudoir session and you should take huge confidence in this… it’s a dream experience for most, so now let’s talk about how to prepare for a Boudoir photoshoot to ensure you get the most out of it. We’ll cover what to wear to a boudoir photoshoot, Boudoir posing and boudoir photoshoot ideas so that you can feel confident you’ve done all you can to prepare for a Boudoir photoshoot.
Don’t worry about feeling nervous. This is perfectly natural and every single one of my clients has been in your shoes and felt the same way. However, rest assured that these nerves are a result of you pushing your boundaries and exploring your beauty, which can only be a good thing, right?
At this point, we should assure you that, no matter your level of confidence or nerves, we’re going to be right there with you, every step of the way. We’re available for as much upfront consultation as you would like and we’ll guide you through every step of the shoot itself, from posing to facial expressions, from your finger tips to your toes. We’re very experienced in guiding in this way and, once your initial nerves subside, this dynamic really helps the session flow.
What should I do to prepare?
Preparation is absolutely key to a successful and rewarding Boudoir experience. We’re going to take you through a few tips and tricks to ensure you’re as prepared as possible when your shoot day arrives. First, let’s talk about Macro preparation (prep to hone your mind-set and narrow the focus of what you want to achieve from your session).
When you were looking for the perfect Boudoir experience for you, you will have had a reason for doing so. Some women are doing it as a surprise for a special someone in their lives whilst others are doing it exclusively for themselves to boost their confidence or celebrate a milestone in their lives. Whatever the reason for booking your shoot, this should be the foundation of your preparation.
The first step of preparation is going to be research… research to find your perfect Boudoir photographer, but also to find some great Boudoir photoshoot ideas. Most likely, you’ll have researched a number of different options when looking to book your experience and seen a wide variety of image styles. Each and every photographer will offer you different Boudoir photoshoot ideas and you have chosen to shoot with us because our style of showcasing your beauty mirrors how you want your beauty to be captured. That said, the whole experience is collaborative so we are more than happy to branch out from our typical approach in order to capture any poses/looks and Boudoir photoshoot ideas you’d like to cover. And this is why additional research is so important. Be sure to trawl the internet looking at the variety of poses, lighting styles and hair/make-up combinations to really help yourself understand how you want your images to look – there’s a reason why ‘Boudoir photoshoot ideas’ is one of the most commonly searched terms related to how to prepare for a Boudoir photoshoot. We always ask clients for 5 example images (either from our portfolio or from other photographers) that they REALLY love and do our best to ensure we can replicate the style and pose as closely as possible during your shoot.
The next step surrounds one of the most common questions we get in this business… ‘what to wear to a Boudoir photoshoot’. We have a whole other blog here relating to this topic, but at a macro level, consider the reason for booking your session in the first place as an anchor for your research here. For example, if your reason for booking your experience is exclusively personal, focus your research on lingerie styles that YOU will feel sexy in. Conversely, if doing the shoot for a significant other, be sure to also consider lingerie that you know THEY will find irresistible, too. However, the absolute most important aspect to consider when choosing your Boudoir lingerie is how comfortable you will be wearing it for your session. It will be very apparent in your images if you’re not confident in your outfit choices, with stiff posing and forced expressions… this is exactly what we want to avoid to ensure your images are as natural and authentic as possible.
The final element is preparing your mind and body for the experience. Most of this step occurs on the few days running up to your session, but preparing your mind starts right at the moment of booking and the other preparation pieces we’ve discussed go a long way to getting yourself into the right mind-set.
When we say preparing your body, we’re not talking about weight loss or toning up. Of course, some might want to lose a little weight and visit a gym a bit more regularly before their session, and this is absolutely fine. But Boudoir is a celebration of you, no matter what your size, body shape or style and we will show you’re your raw beauty in a way you could never have imagined.
So, what do we mean by preparing your body for the experience? Well, here are just a few things to consider on the run up to your session:
- Self-tanning – Many ladies do this and a good tan can certainly look fab in your images, but our advice is to NOT self-tan if this is not something you would normally do on a semi-regular basis to ensure your session captures the real you. And, if you do decide to self-tan, ensure this is done a couple of days before your shoot to make sure the tan has had chance to even out.
- Hair Removal – Any hair removal should be done at least 24 hours before your session, but ideally 48 hours. This is to avoid that pesky shaving rash showing up in all of your pictures.
- Nails – Even if you’re not a regular visitor to the nail salon, consider a manicure or nail make-over for your shoot. Newly done nails look amazing for Boudoir and can really help to give a subtle confidence boost on the day.
- Stretching – believe it or not, a Boudoir session is quite the workout. Boudoir posing often takes time and can sometimes put your body in positions you wouldn’t typically find yourself in. As such, it’s important to spend the last few days before your session doing some full body stretching to make your body as supple as possible on the day… just don’t overdo it and injure yourself, please!
- Drinking water – similar to stretching, fluid intake is also really important to help keep your limbs and muscles flexible, so be sure to get your recommended 2-3 litres a day for the week running up to your session to make your Boudoir posing as easy as possible.
- Posing – whilst it might feel unnatural at first, we would strongly recommend trying out a few simple poses that you like in front of the mirror. Doing this helps you understand how it feels, both physically and emotionally. And don’t worry if you don’t nail it first time, we mean it when we say we’re experienced at this and that we’ll talk you through every detail of every pose on the day.
So there you have it. All of these pointers are our core recommendations and tips for getting the most out of your experience. There’s a lot that can be done to fully prepare yourself for your magical experience, but we’re always available to walk through every aspect before, during or after your session, so please rest assured you’re in safe hands. Don’t delay and get in touch to start discussing your perfect Boudoir photoshoot today!